Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Cobwebs in My Wallet!


There's a draft in my wallet . . .

It's 7:30pm as I write this and I've just arrived home. I left work at 4pm to go to a job interview, started my 1992 Honda Accord, the engine turned over but would not catch. In fact, it kept
kerchunk kerchunk kerchunking even after I removed the key from the ignition.

So like any self-respecting auto owner, I opened the bonnet, looked studiously at the kerchunking interior and a sluggish drive belt and watched as the engine kept ticking over but still not starting. I rang the agency who had arranged the interview to find just one bar on my mobile phone so had to make it fast

"PleasecallthemanattheinterviewandtellthemmycarisabouttoexplodeandIcan'tmakethe interviewIknowit'salameexcusebutseriouslyIthinkmyenginisgoingtoblowup!"

Well eventually something went 'poof' and after wafting a little grey puff of smoke the car died.

Now this in itself isn't anything more than a costly disappointment but this morning I also drove Clare to work so she's stranded without a lift and off the bus route. My NRMA roadside assistance hasn't been renewed and I have one bar on my phone. So, call roadside assistance and pay $140 for a new annual membership, get the little man in the blue van on his way somewhere between 20 and 60 minutes. Message Clare to get a cab and meet me outside the Crowne Plaza but she hasn't got her wallet with her so I have to wait to pay the taxi driver $25 with my credit card.

Finally the little blue van guy arrives and tells me my starter motor is farked, better than I thought but he can't repair it because they don't carry ancient Honda parts. He seems surprised that there's actually a starter motor in a car so old and thought it might be one of those Flintstone jobs where you just peddle through a hole in the floor. Now that would be a bit drafty.

So, we resolve to leave the car on the roof and organise a tow tomorrow. Although the tow truck is too big to get up to the rooftop carpark so we'll have to 'push' the car down to it and Adam isn't confident that the handbrake is strong enough to slow it down the ramps!

By now I have nice blue perspiration stains under my arms, grubby grey marks on my pristine blue and white striped shirt and a glistening top lip. My heart is racing and my wallet looking decidedly drafty.

I go to the nice man in the carpark payment booth and explain that I have to leave my car overnight but am happy to pay for the full day parking and even for tomorrow's but don't want to cop an overnight parking fee. He doesn't have the 'authority' to wave the fee so gives me the number of Don and Pete who I have to call in the morning and beg to wave the $40 charge. I don't fancy my chances somehow!

We walk by the river towards the 601 bus as the bats move in for the night but due to the drafty wallet and the absence of bus fare, I need an ATM. No worries, in goes the card . . .
"ATM Temporarily Unavailable".

I'm really getting the shits now. Clare's all
"Mum this happens all the time when you're travelling, chillax!" Yeh but when you're being fucked over in a beautiful city it's different. This is bloody Parramatta. My car's dead, I've forked out $185 buckaroos, the ATM isn't working and I haven't got any bus fare! Thank goodness for the nice man in the 7/11 who gives me $50 if I buy a bottle of water . . .onto the smelly old 601 and fortunately Adam is there to pick us up in Clare's care which is . . .unregistered! Oh yes, that was the plan . .register the car tomorrow.

So, three hours later, I'm home, tired, hungry, broke and only half the problem solved. Beans on toast for tea . . I kid you not.

Ah look on the bright side, the engine didn't blow up. The car will be towed and fixed and I only have to catch the smelly 601 two more times! Ah yes and it's a long weekend coming up!
. . . and I thought I'd have nothing to post for Theme Thursday . . the topic being Draft!


47 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's almost as if THEY are out to get you (Whoever they are, the CIA, Spectre, etc, etc.) Sabotaging your car, shutting down your ATM. Scary.

Subby said...

Many starters I've had to replace o'er the years...wasn't playin' this week but cleverly woven into the topic ;)


WV=voicing

Mrsupole said...

This was a day that really fits the saying that when shit happens, shit happens. Or should I change it to crap. Oh I don't give a shit. You had a shitty day and thank goodness that you finally got home. We drove the crap out of our '89 Honda Accord and I think we almost cried when we had to get rid of it.

When I go to the Honda Dealer they keep asking me if I want a new one and I look at them like they are nuts. I only have a little over 70,000 miles on it and tell them it is still not broken in yet. I mean I would like a new one but the thought of another car payment is too scarey. So until we drive the crap out of this one, I am keeping it. Although now that I am not working it seems like it takes forever to put any miles on it.

I hope they fix your car ASAP and that the next few days are a lot better for you. I will also keep my fingers crossed in the hopes that you will get another interview and still have them crossed for the new job.

Sending healing and happy thoughts your way.

God bless.

Louise Bowers said...

And it's all THEIR fault.

Brian Miller said...

oy, it only get better from here...hope its not to expensive...i understand completely...every time it seems we get a little breathing room...yeah.

Kate Hanley said...

What a crappy day! I hope that you got all the bad stuff out of the way for the rest of the week/month/year!

laughingwolf said...

seems lately without bad luck, you'd have none :(

Rowe said...

I need a scotch on the rocks - OMG. What a shit of a day that was. You do wonder what's next when it's one thing after another like that.

California Girl said...

Well Baino, not a good day. The thing that makes you who you are is your sense of humor, however black, and your fortitude. I think the rest of us really admire you for both. I know I do! Wish we could split a bottle of wine or two. xoxo

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Those 'poofs' can really ruin your day. But it makes good story fodder! -J

nick said...

Shit happens indeed. I hope the car gets fixed quickly, and without an even bigger strain on your wallet.

Lisa said...

But you are too funny.

I don't understand the 601 smelly thing and why did the 7/11 man gave you $50 again?

I've been to Parramatta, many years ago. We stayed at a hotel next to a river.

I hope you'll get to rest tonight and I hope things don't get to be as bad tomorrow and the weekend will be good.

hokgardner said...

Oy what a day. Hope today is better.

Kathy G said...

When it rains it pours, doesn't it? Hope today is better.

Gledwood said...

My Australian cousin got in my uncle's car, aged 3 and nearly demolished their garage with it!

Just thought I'd share that Automobile Down Under story with you...

;-)

Roy said...

Ouch! Of course, you realize that all of this happened because you were going to a job interview.

It's okay, though. C'mon over to my blog and have a Guinness; it's good for you!

Anonymous said...

When we had Lada (Soviet/Russian car make) my dad used a hammer to co-assist in the process of starting the car.

Don't Bug Me! said...

I like beans on toast........

RLM Cooper said...

Oy! Just .... OY!
Seems like when things go wrong, they just ALL go wrong, doesn't it?

While this is probably the most entertaining TT post I will read today, I would happily have done without the entertainment if you could have been spared the "draft".

Janice said...

Now that is a day from hell. Things will surely pick up! As for the drafty wallet, I know that one well.

steph said...

Baino

I hope you got to chill out with some Chardy when you got home... I hear it goes very well with baked beans!

Please tell me your job interview has been successfully re-scheduled?

Big (((hugs)))

The Jelly Monster said...

see this is why I dont have a car or drive I end up either getting trying to hitch a ride then getting kidnapped or you'd find me like weeks likes crying on the side of the road "me car try to kill me ahhhhhh booooo hooo hoooo!"

Ronda Laveen said...

I had a day like that on Monday, but it pales by comparison. At least my car broke down in the driveway.

Sending you good energy and energy for abundance, financial and otherwise.

i beati said...

never fails when we need it the most- I'm hoping to stretch my wallet till May 3 - tight and a lot of gas needed. Very high here nearly $3.00

xxx said...

Oh Baino I understand that kind of pain :(
my car is older than yours... soon to be vintage I reckon.

I'm hugging you, but I wish I could sling you a new car :)

I'm alwasy buying raffle tickets to win one.

x Robyn

Kris McCracken said...

G.
O.
GG.
O.

Kath Lockett said...

You poor little sausage. There's nothing like a bit of crapulence to form a magnet for even more crapulence to come flying your way.

I live in hope, though, that when someone's endured the crapulence that you have, then you're due to receive some total Awesomeness some time very soon. Fingers crossed!

Alan Burnett said...

Inspiration does have the habit of arriving from the strangest sources. Glad my source wasn't quite as unfortunate as yours. Hope things improve : if not hit the wine.

Mim said...

well - I think you got your three bad things over with, and since they always come in threes - you'll be safe for awhile.

Why don't good things come in 10"s???

jay said...

Oh no! What a catalogue of disasters! Things sometimes do all come along at once like that, don't they/ Thank heavens for the nice man in the 7/11!

And that should be a lesson to us all to keep our phones topped up, shouldn't it!

e said...

Wow, poor you! Take a warm bath, listen to some music and enjoy your beans on toast...tomorrow is another day, and it will be better.

Darlene said...

Talk about a bad day !!! I feel your pain. I'm amazed that you aren't in the hospital recovering. I hope the rest of the month goes much better (Could it get worse?)

Tom said...

ack! i won't say i haven't had days like these...cause i have--i've got 3 kids and we've got 4 cars right now, so you can imagine--but, ack! cobwebs don't spend well.

PattiKen said...

Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. Here's hoping things are turning around for you.

kylie said...

i have had so many days like this. i wish i could remember the stories

Sarah Lulu said...

Oh dear I enjoyed that so much I nearly cried laughing!

I'm so sorry for your misfortune ... does that sound sincere? hahahah

I'm reminded of the Chinese Proverb ...

Now that the barn have burned to the ground ..I can see the moon.

Ohhhhhhhhhh and the word verification is ..

ching!!!! Is that a sign of more money coming for you?! xxx

River said...

Sorry about your car and the ATM, but I'm astounded (just a little bit) that Clare was at work all day without her wallet. Who goes out for the entire day without their wallet? Anyway, reading this makes me glad I live within walking distance of everything I need. Absolutely no need for a car. Going somewhere? Catch a bus. Getting the groceries home? Delivery. Yay me!

Anonymous said...

Jesus god almighty! Who did you piss off in the realm of the gods?
Feck sake almighty.
That little song "I got a feeling called the blues" popped into my head after reading it.

I hope you've got a years worth of crappy day stored up so that you can have a clear run at the rest of it.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) said...

Your run of luck can only get better after that - surely ?!! - God chime in here pls!

Ces Adorio said...

Aaaw! I hope your week will be better. When it rains it pours sometimes. In the bright side, things will be greener.

moondustwriter said...

I was thinking you fried your engine. I've had the big poof of smoke. what do they say -"it can always get worse." Well some days can't get any worse. Glad you could keep the humor

Cheers
and thanks again for visiting moondustwriter

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

NO! I do so hate pouring money into the car...but yet gotta have it to go to and fro.
Hope it doesn't cost too, too much!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Definitely Murphy's Law at work!

Jaime said...

wow. sounds like you had one hell of a day.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love your beach post,
thank you for the fun and magic!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

visit my blogger account today,
get 4 awards posted there,
enjoy!
thank you and have fun!

Melanie said...

Boooo to days like that. Bring on the good times I say. Hope your wallet gets filled with cash soon, and mine for that matter. We live on baked beans:)