Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kitchen Whizz?

We're addicted to Master Chef. Have been for about 4 seasons. One of the repercussions of watching is Adam's propensity to 'invent' new dishes. He's a decent cook actually but ignores the basics. Roux? What's a roux? Custard? Why use cream when there's ice cream? And there's always some secret ingredient that doesn't 'quite' go but the outcome is to say the least, entertaining and usually very delicious. So with the onset of a very early winter (it's cold as a witch's tits down here at the moment), the Friday Master Chef cook off has begun. I'll miss his culinary enthusiasm when he leaves.


Last night, three pizzas. Home made base which frankly is perfect and crisp, one topped with Thai Sweet Chilli Chicken, the other with buffalo mozzarella and home made tomato sauce, onion and snow peas, the other . . I really can't remember but it was salami and something. Then dessert. OK we didn't have cream and all of us were a little over the limit so ice cream, vanilla bean and eggs managed to turn into some sort of custard on crepey stuff with orange zest. Not bad actually. But seriously, the fun is in the making bless his cotton sox:


Chilli Chicken Satay Pizza


The Master at work


Love a man who cleans up


Separating yolks from the whites, harder than it looks


"Dinner's taking forever"


Whisking it up


Orangey, crepey, custardy stuff

 Did I tell you I think he's awesome . . .delish sweet man, a little peculiar but just delish.

24 comments:

Tom said...

sounds like a new tv show...i'd watch it.

snow peas on pizza? i gotta try it!

Brian Miller said...

ha...we love watching creative cooking shows and it does inspire us to try some crazy stuff...

grannymar said...

When is he starting the book? It all looked very interesting.

Grannymar

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Well, I. AM. IMPRESSED! It looks delicious ALL of it and HE is adorable!

We love the cooking shows too...they are addictive!

Anonymous said...

It seems that your daughter also has better cell phone than I. I started checking it when a 10 year old kid had a better one than mine. :P

I prefer simple food.

Gledwood said...

Our masterchef has an Aussie and a normal person breathing down contestans' necks as they participate in a competition to make the most superb dish...

Can you participate in my survey? Do you get voices in your head? Chez Moi today ;-)

tut-tut said...

I'm impressed, and you've given me lots of good ideas. We like our homemade pizza here, too. have a good week, Baino!!!

Anonymous said...

What's with "when he leaves." New to the conversation - request clarification in this and in butter.

Great post - I also get inventive with what is around. Spent a time on Tortolla, BVI. The ship wasn't always about to come in with supplies.

A rue is so simple but I suspect the name makes people hesitate. Now the Roo...not so simple LOL.

Mim said...

did he mean roux? or rue the herb? bless his heart either way.

As a total aside: Claire has such nice shoulders! I - like my counterpart miss em - have wimpy shoulders so I am always impressed with women who have lovely, impressive shoulders. I'm sure she got them from you.

Ces Adorio said...

Hahahahahah! "Why use cream when there is ice cream?" Hahahah! I like him. I think any guy who can cook is just wonderful. Even The Viking has learned to cook and mastered the crockpot. That chicken chili satay looks delicious!

Happy eating!

Megan said...

Looks wonderful. And hooray for a chef who cleans up, too!

Mme. Rogers said...

Man! With a handsome guy like that in the kitchen, I'd watch him too! ;) So when's the first episode? Meanwhile continue sharing his flair for gourmet food.

Janice said...

I, too, am a fan of cooking shows. How nice to have your own chef in the family! I wish I could taste that pizza; it looks delicious.

PattiKen said...

I first discovered the show in the UK (with the name Master Chef Goes Large. Now Gordon Ramsey does one here in the US, and I love it, along with many other cooking shows.
But how lucky are you that someone in your house actually is inspired to cook by them? The pizza looks fantastic.

laughingwolf said...

see? there are SOME reasons for keeping men around! :P lol

Betsy Brock said...

How fun! Love stuff like that! I want to taste that pizza!

nick said...

Good to see so many men cooking these days, even if the results are somewhat unpredictable!

Mo said...

"Why use cream when there's ice cream?" B-DDDD. Is he seeing anyone right now :P? (just kidding<3)

Kath Lockett said...

LOVE his creations and love to see a TV show where an 'Adam' does have a few drinks and then sees what he can create from what he finds in the pantry and the fridge!

i beati said...

yummity yum yum

kj said...

you raised this fine gourmet of a boy...

isn't it great to have someone around who likes to cook and keeps it interesting? and he cleans up too? that is hard and wonderful to believe!

i really like this post, hells. i love how you write.


kj

JeffScape said...

Tell him to do a 'roo pizza next time.

Gledwood said...

Are the mental health services here in the UK better than the Australian ones? You keep saying I'm lucky to live in a country with a proper NHS. I just heard some reports by Aussies who had depression. One had real bad after baby blues. She was psychotic and repeatedly went into hospital for 24 hours or a couple of days. I can't see that happening here. If you were fucked they'd keep you in. Is that what you mean about the better health services? The ones here are just really confusing. I don't even know who's meant to be treating me now... :-(

Siobhan said...

The dessert looks interesting but I'm sure it was great :P Can he send me a pizza? I don't have an oven in my house :(
And I was unaware that witches' tits were so cold, thank you for enlightening me!