Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Botnic

Since once of my loveliest, and strangest of friends is half Japanese, I'm getting quite an insight into the weirdness of it's people.  Highly disciplined, beautifully cultured, funky, polite, deviate, serious, controlled and rather odd, it comes as no surprise that the lovers of Anime and nano technology have a bit of a robot fetish (hey don't we all). But one poor man has finally snapped after his mummy took evasive action and evicted his 'friends':

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:12pm AEST


Robot hero: the popular TV animation character Gundam (AFP : Yoshikazu Tsuno )
A Japanese man has pleaded guilty to burning down his family home after his mother threw away some of his favourite robot toys.
Yoshifumi Takabe told Kobe District Court in western Japan he became suicidal after losing the figures, which he says were partners he wanted to spend his life with.
The 30-year-old, who lived with his mother, torched the family home in retaliation, saying he wanted to die with his robots in the fire.
His mother had long complained that Takabe was cluttering the house with enough toys to fill at least 300 boxes.
The blaze on August 9 last year completely destroyed their two-story wooden house, but no-one was injured.
The robot toys were figures from the Gundam animated TV series, which started in the 1970s, about space wars involving giant robots.

Ok everyone have a fab weekend. For me  it's gutter cleaning and a visit from the Outlaws. Crank it babies!  Love this shit.  Chardy time!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!This is crazy!
Anyway..lol have a great weekend :)

JeffScape said...

Hey, I have some Gundam toys. They're friggin' awesome.

Carolina said...

Why am I not at all surprised this is about a 30-year old guy still living with his mother?
;-)

Roy said...

Good grief! The lad's a bit obsessed, isn't he?

Skip the Chardy, pass me a Black Opal Shiraz. Mmmmmmm!

Grannymar said...

If you are an expert gutter cleaner I'll save mine until you come over. The wine should be chilled by the time you step off the ladder.

Anonymous said...

Well, Japanese people are very weird to me. Once we saw a documentary on Geography class and it showed that they bought used female pants to smell it.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Hmmmm....maybe mummy needed to kick him to the curb too!

nick said...

Couldn't he have claimed it wasn't him who burned down the house, it was one of the robots?

Tom said...

we have weirdos in this country too.
have a great weekend!

Colette Amelia said...

I had to look twice at that man's name for I thought maybe he was the strange one that I had to kick out after 9 days of home stay...and almost caused an international incident in the mix! all I can say is he was the strangest person I had the non pleasure of aboding with.

Even the 16 year old home stay young man from Shanghai was shocked and wondered if this was a good representation of Japanese!

e said...

Wow, obsessives are everywhere! Enjoy your weekend, Helen.

laughingwolf said...

let the bastard die in the blaze....

Megan said...

Heh. We used to watch a lot of Gundam Wing over here. I think the toys are in a box somewhere. I think. They had a lot of small sharp pieces...

River said...

He should have bought his own house and filled that with his toys.

My gutters could use a cleaning too. When should I expect you? You'll bring your own ladder right?

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmmm, I am wondering if one of those t-shirt companies have a tee with "Chardy Time" on it! Cause if they do I WANT ONE!

Have a great weekend with the out-laws AND the gutters!

Anonymous said...

I think that those toys were called transformers in the northern hemisphere.
And on a wholly unrelated subject, do you know if there has ever been a thesis done on why Australians replace the last few letters in so many spoken, and often written words, with the letter 'Y'?
Just wondering.

RLM Cooper said...

Whoa! That was some serious retaliation!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Okaaayyyy... I think this is where you insert the phrase, "Get a Life!"

Jay said...

Good grief! I'm glad I never banned my sons from collecting their toys! ROFL! What happened to him? Did he get fined? Prison? Psychiatric help?

Enquiring minds need to know!!