I don't often go all political on the blog but I've been off today and trawling the net, reading about the US health debate on Facebook and finding out more about Sara Palin's soul sister.
"It is not within our power as members of Congress, it’s not within the enumerated powers of the Constitution, for us to design and create a national takeover of health care. Nor is it within our ability to be able to delegate that responsibility to the executive."
Pardon? I thought that's what Congress was for?
These are the words of foot in mouth diseased Michele Bachmann, Minnisota Congresswoman who is fighting the good fight against Obama's public health option. Now I'm no expert on the US constitution but I actually heard this woman say that the US has the best healthcare system in the world. Actually, while the U.S. is spending more on total health care when compared to other countries, the country is getting less access, patient safety, efficiency and above all - equity!
Back to our fuckwit: Her verbal diarrhea and absolutely misguided rhetoric makes Sara Palin look like a pussycat.
Among other things, Congress has the power to “lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises” and to “provide for….the general welfare of the United States.” Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a pretty broad mandate!
Her husband owns two private mental health clinics, do you think he's feeling a little pressure from the possibility of public health providing the same services he does . . you betcha!
Some quotable quotes on rejecting the universal health care package:
“Right now, we are looking at reaching down the throat and ripping the guts out of freedom,” she said. “And we may never be able to restore it if we don’t man up and take this one on.” Freedom for whom? Those who can afford health insurance?But there's more:
“This is slavery, . . .It’s nothing more than slavery.” (on paying tax to fund health)
“What we have to do today is make a covenant, to slit our wrists, be blood brothers on this thing. This will not pass. We will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn’t pass.” (Well that could solve the problem completely, if they all slit their wrists - no opposition - sorted!)
"You are saying that the people many conservatives have called bleeding heart liberals for years are in fact . . using health care as part of a plot to kill babies, disabled people and and the elderly! (Yeah then we're gonna eat them!)
- Voted NO on allowing stockholder voting on executive compensation.
- Voted NO on additional $10.2B for federal education & HHS projects
- Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation
- Authored constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman
- Voted NO on tax incentives for energy production and conservation
- Voted NO on tax incentives for renewable energy
- Voted NO on investing in homegrown biofuel
- Voted YES on criminalising oil cartels like OPEC
- Voted NO on $9.7B for Amtrak improvements and operation through to 2013
- Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to globalisation
- Voted NO on protecting whistle blowers from employer recrimination
- Voted NO on giving mental health full equity with physical health (Remember hubbies business?)
- Voted YES to prohibit mandatory mental health screen for students
- Voted NO on increasing minimum wage to $7.25
- Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days
Some may think her a darlin' but I just think she's a total fuckwit! A real American idiot.
Have a wonderful weekend. I'm hopeful of some nice photo blogs. Bondi tomorrow and the International Three Day Event showjumping on Sunday . . . may the sun shine on you this weekend and be nice to each other!