Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cuddle Me Koala but I Really Respect Me 'orse

I wrote a couple of posts last night about Catholicism and religion but they're boorish, one-eyed and more stream of consciousness than sense, so tonight . . on Wacky Wednesday when hundreds of thousands of youngsters are enjoying our fair city and has to be admitted pretty wonderful weather the posts were too serious and inappropriate. There is much waving at cameras, spontaneous singing, attending Reconciliation in the confession tent and an expo on Religion (Nuns have more fun!), busking, abject gratefulness at WYD financing their trip and providing a free sausage sizzle (God we Aussies are culinary giants!). The city is enjoying a general celebration. And I have to say I was brought to "awwws" when I saw a Somali boy espouse how grateful he was to have had the opportunity to come to Sydney. Despite DrummerBoy's comment about "I'm sick of this Pope shit on the news" (well brought up Catholic boy that he is) it is news.

Although how the Pope gets to pet a koala when every other tourist has to settle for a close up and personal but DON'T TOUCH moment escapes me . . clearly koalas feel calm under Holy hands (or men in long dresses) and zoological exceptions are made (They should have made him hold it because they pee indiscriminently, even on Government Ministers) . . I thought I'd take a humorous view of the visit . . .imagine this duo busking near St Mary's Cathedral in front of 225,000 holy rollers . . .



and as a friend of mine would say . . In other news . . try this at Quickie's

16 comments:

Thriftcriminal said...

Ah, Ted. Classic stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ted probably did more to create a positive image for the church than most of the bishops!

The Pope really believes it is possible to turn back the clock and recreate a pre-modern Christendom. He cannot cope with the relativism of post-modern society and seems to have little by way of response to fundamentalist Islam (the lecture with which he caused a row betrayed a lack of understanding)

laughingwolf said...

bloody brilliant, as the poms would have it! ;) lol

Anonymous said...

Do they not let you hod an koala now ?, they did when Iw as there, in Adleiade in the hills, got some wonderful photos .. I am guessing it stresses them too much ?...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) said...

You will, you will, you will, ah go on now ya will!

ta for the plug.

Anonymous said...

I'll have a plug on the house here - call now on 1-8-669 SAVE ME and reserve your place by my side in the new Statue of Happiness - shielded from attack by all modern nuclear ballistic missiles!!

Baino said...

Isn't it just. I could watch it all day . . .

Hi Ian, I was interested in your perspective from the other side of the religious fence so to speak! Well, as modern catholics appear to be deserting the ship, someone will have to bring the Vatican kicking and screaming into the 21st century . . .

LW: never heard a Canadian referring to the brits as Poms? Where you from?

Moon: nup, we can stand next to them for a photo opportunity but no touchy . .unless you're someone very famous or religious, or policital or a zookeeper, or know a zookeeper (I do!)

Quicky, I did and thanks and someone ad work wanted do know what Doogle was! Just said it was my customised google page.

David . . um, don't think your take up rate is going to be very high! What psychotropics are you on tonight sweetheart?

Anonymous said...

Hahaa, I agree with Drummerboy! The last time I watched the news they showed businessmen trying to dodge and run away from kissing, cuddling guitar wielders. I saw the Pope stroke a carpet snake too! Didn't even say a prayer first...

Megan said...

Funny thing I just watched an episode of Kathy Griffin's reality show the other night, and when she visited she got to pet the koala, too. Maybe because she was there with Lance Bass.

Anonymous said...

I'm with drummerboy...over the pope stuff...

Baino said...

Anony: Funny email going round this morning, a queue of bishops in full regalia in Sydney with some dude dressed as Darth Vader lurking in the background . . . at least the force is with them!

Megan, I don't know who Lance Bass is but if you're remotely famous, I think you can pet a Koala, we motly menials however just have to point and laugh. (they don't mind)

Ello doo doo . . .yep, wait until tonight's news, today's the BIG MASS!

kj said...

i wish i liked the pope. i hope my feelings won't delay my ticket upward. but jeez, the guy is so...so....so....traditional! perhaps petting an off limits animal or two may help in some cosmic kind of way....

(what am i saying, and why?!)

Baino said...

Ah KJ, nothing against him really I just wonder would Sydney put on such a hullaballo for an islamic visitor during Ramadan? I think not!

Anonymous said...

Tell DrummerBoy...

I'm putting Father Jack on the next plane to Sydney!

I hope we get to hear yer other posts on the church, Baino

Baino said...

Hey Steph. I think we're all Pooped I mean Poped out in Sydney.

laughingwolf said...

canuck i am, with many oz pals... had to query what it meant, but love it! :) lol