Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Six Times Two

I've been tagged a couple of times with this one by Candie and California Girl and since it's Tuesday and nothing singularly remarkable can be reported other than having my first formal interview in 15 years (more later).
Here we go. Rules:
1) Mention the person who tags you.
2) List your six unimportant things that make you happy.
3) Tag six blogs by notifying them in a comment on their blog.
4) List the six on my blog.
Here goes:


4pm on a Saturday, clean house, washing done, garden tidy, nobody home . . .open a bottle, pour a glass . . bliss.



Hotel sheets . . I love a mini-break in a posh hotel, white crisp linen and a chocolate on the pillow. Can't wait to stay at the Windsor when we go to Melbourne at the end of the month. So oldy worldy and then there's high tea and eggs benedict for breakfast - happy claps!



Bear hugs from the son. These days, schmultzy 'I love you mummy' hugs are a thing of the past and have given way to farting competitions, hair ruffling and bottom slapping as terms of endearment. But every now and then, not often, I get a hug to melt the heart thanks to that big boofhead!



Clare and I at home together on our own. Great excuse for yummy food that Adam doesn't like . .Bouillabaise, mussels or even the humble rissole with onion gravy and creamy mashed potatoes . . .we once picnicked on the kitchen floor.



My dog . . every time I come home, she wiggles out to the car with a stick or a leaf or a piece of bark . .a special gift just for me and all she wants in return is a pat!



Managing the GHD straightener in just the right way so that my hair shines instead of frizzes without burning my fingers or forehead. I'm still practising that one!



Actually these ended up being quite important so here's another 'I can live without but love 'em' things:

  1. Grand Marnier and Chocolate Almond Ice Cream - straight from the shops after it's melted a bit. I only buy it once in a blue moon and only ever skim the top couple of inches. It's gone by the time I remember it's in the freezer - Adaaaaaaam!
  2. Skinny dipping on a hot summer's night, then lying on the bed all cool and dewey
  3. Flowers on the kitchen bench. Big Lillies or long-stemmed Iris . .usually bought by me but so pretty in a cylindrical, dead plane vase
  4. Going to the hairdressers. It's such a rare occurrence but lovely to come back shampooed, coloured and cut and feeling like a film star. If only it would last!
  5. Eating with my fingers - chicken wings, prawns, ribs . . food you can't eat out but can make a right pig of yourself eating at home! Clearly all those years of being told to 'hold your knife and fork properly' have given me huge guilt about using fingers anywhere other than in the privacy of my own home!
  6. That first cup of Irish Breakfast tea with milk and one in the morning . .my day doesn't start right without it.
So, onto the new list of six. Oh come on! You didn't think I could isolate just six of you. All play. Go on, you know you want to! Trust me, it's harder than it looks.

21 comments:

River said...

Amazing isn't it, how something that seems so over-the-top-important pales into insignificance beside a hug from a child, a welcome from a pet, a simple family meal. i have so many non-important things in my life that give me moments of true pleasure. Like the mug of hot chocolate sitting beside me right now.

a. said...

Happy claps! And happy claps for your big curly mop! Own it!

Grannymar said...

Nice one!

I did my six on the second and had my blog hi-jacked! LOL!

nick said...

I wouldn't know where to start here, so many unimportant things make me feel happy. In fact it's more likely to be the unimportant things because the major ones often involve draggy stuff like responsibility and duty and politeness and not offending anyone. There's lots of music that makes me happy, also good food, coffee and great scenery.

Mind you, if something makes you happy, doesn't that make it an important thing?

Candie said...

Great Baino,you've done the first part in pictures as well.The first one is a bliss,you're right.The second,I've never been in a posh hotel,must be nice.Bear hugs with my son is the best too,but like you said it's an important thing,surely the most important.Love going to hairdressers too,it's rare as well,but you feeling so good after!And eating with your fingers is just the best,like jumping on beds,lol.Happiness.
Great list!:)

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how eating your food with your fingers just makes it that much more special. I was pondering this just the other day as I was stuffing my face, fingers to plate, fingers to mouth and said to D, "you know, I think food tastes better this way!" And it must do, because it really puts you in touch with food.
Ooh er, have I waxed lyrical about nosh... Oh dear, time for a choccie then! ;-)

Susan at Stony River said...

Well, *I'm* cheered up, just reading these lists!

And I hope your interview went well--hoping for lots of Grand Marnier ice cream for you too.

Renee said...

High tea one of my favourite things to do.

Nice new sheets are another favourite of mine.

When you are out for dinner, I will be the person beside you eating with my hands.

Love Renee xoxo

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for your interview!

New Yorker wannabes said...

Hey there lol

You've been tagged on my blog for a kind of blog game :)

take care
xoxo

Unknown said...

It sounds indeed hard because I have no idea what makes me happy.

Ronda Laveen said...

All of your photos are stunning. On reader the top picture looked like precious jewels and gold. And it is. Loved the textures of the hair photo. Ohhh, your poochie looks like such a love! Give a skrich from me.

i beati said...

Your answers were so inspirign I'm going to try

Melissa said...

Happy claps!! Just reading those things made me feel more relaxed. :)

California Girl said...

You have some pretty yummy choices, I'm thinkin'.

Kath Lockett said...

Oooh yeah, I wanna play too.

I *love* the photos you've taken and seeing Lily makes me smile. And I'm with Annie Ha - LOVE your curly hair - I'm so jealous because mine is so thin and straight I might as well have cobwebs and fisherman's line up there.

Leah said...

Great post, really awesome. You make everything in your second list sound so incredibly appealing!!!

Cuppa Jo said...

Happy claps! That one right there should be in the list.

Aren't pet magnificent? Of course my cats only bring me hairballs, sometimes even my own. But, they're all brought with love.

Megan said...

I'm with you on most everything but the mussels...nope, not eating those, no sirree.

Hope the interview went well!!! I'm thinking about you!

New Yorker wannabes said...

I am so with you on that hair thing! oh and there is nothing better than a night spend at the sea lol

great post
xoxo

laughingwolf said...

neat stuff, baino :)

i can relate to most, myself!