Friday, May 11, 2007

Creature of Habit or Compulsive Obsessive?

I am an addictive personality. Just ask my friends. I’m addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, good food (I emphasise the ‘good’), routine, cleanliness, tidiness, obligation, fair play, DVD’s . . . they say there’s an ‘addictive’ gene and if so, I think I’ve got it. Or maybe I’m just weirdly compulsive after all the change in my life . . .


My symptoms are:

  • I smoke – although I’m trying to cut down, never smoke at work or in the car I’m still managing to puff about 10-16 nurrells a day.
  • I drink – my attempts at an alcohol free midweek have improved greatly but I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times.
  • I am tidy – I have to have clear benches and floors, straighten the towels, wash the dishes, sweep the floor before Ileave for work in the morning. Things have to be just so and if they’re not when I get home the Banshee breaks out.
  • I am a creature of habit – I rise at 6.00am and NEVER lie in, walk the dog, have a shower, get dressed, go to work at 7:50. Lunch at 1:30 and dinner . . . well that’s flexible depending on who’s home but never before 8.00. Saturdays – Go to Babysis' for coffee, do the washing, clean the house, change the sheets, check the pool, blow the leaves. Shop on Sunday afternoon.
  • I have to have a cup of coffee at 11:00 in the morning and 3:30 in the afternoon or I am not pleasant
  • I have to make my bed every morning whether there’s a dog on it or not
  • I have to iron my T shirts (although I draw the line at linen and tea towels)
  • I have to have the last word on emails (this can be a particular problem if emailing someone else who has to have the last word on emails)
  • The toilet paper has to hang 'over' the roll not 'under' with the pattern facing up
  • I have to intefere on the rare occasions that my children cook because they’re messy little morons in the kitchen.
  • I HAVE to check my regular stable of blogs before I start work in the morning (this means coming in earlier of course)

It's not all bad . . . I'm addicted to friendships, principles, good manners, loyalty, family, hugs and love . . . but having identified the ‘disease’. I am now resolving that from today, I’m going to be a little more spontaneous and a little less dictated to by my addictions and obsessions . . .

Nope . . . it’s no good . . . I just can’t do it. I is what I is.



No comments: