It’s another wet and chilly Saturday, my loungeroom looks like a Chinese laundry and BabySis, MikTay and the brood have just left after having coffee and a talkfest. ClareBear is finally cleaning her allergy ridden room and there’s Chicken Soup simmering on the hob.
Brought me to thoughts of comfort food. Not necessarily food you’d order in a restaurant or cook for the family but food you like when you’re feeling under par or is tied to a particular memory or event:
- Vegemite and lashings of butter (not margarine) on freshly baked white bread
- Arnotts Mint Slice Biscuits, guaranteed to make you feel better when you’re sick
- Caramello Koala’s, better than a trip to the psychiatrist
- Chopped tomato, shallots, cheddar cheese and a splash of mayonnaise toasted on bread with generous amounts of freshly ground pepper – the best ever quicksnack
- Hawks Nest Thai Chicken Pies and a chocolate Paddle Pop – then you know you’re on holiday
- Fresh Mango Daquiris, the flavour of Summer/Christmas
- Iced coffee, with Blue Ribbon ice cream but without the whipped cream so you get more coffee scrumptiousness
- Real potato (not that reconstituted rubbish) hot chips from greasy Joes with loads of BBQ sauce or dark gravy
- Pistachio nuts – cos they keep your hands busy
- Roast dinners, just the aroma makes you comfy
I’m sure there are more but it’s time for a toasty.